If you are looking for a way to add more whole grains to your diet, let me suggest this barley risotto recipe. If you are not familiar with barley it has a delicious chewy texture and it’s loaded with fiber and you can buy it inexpensively at most grocery stores and in the bulk section at Whole Foods. You can add pretty much any vegetable that you’d like….I added asparagus, but peas, mushrooms or butternut squash would work really well too.
- In a medium sized sauce pan, heat the vegetable broth and allow the broth to sit over low heat.
- In a large sauce man, melt 2 tablespoons of butter on low-medium heat.
- To the butter, add the shallots and continue to cook for another 2 minutes until the shallots are translucent.
- Next, add the barley and mix with the shallots.
- Add a few ladles of broth (enough to cover the barley). Stir and allow some of the liquid to be absorbed.
- Continue cooking and adding broth a few ladles at a time allowing time for the broth to be absorbed before adding more.
- Continue this process until the barley is tender, but still slightly firm. (20-30 minutes)
- Add the asparagus and cook until tender but still slightly firm.
- Add the salt and parmesan cheese and stir.