8 Ways to Wet Your Whistle
Everyone knows they need to drink more water. Water is needed in just about every area of our bodies and does lots of amazing things like flushing toxins from the body, helps to prevent constipation, improves heart health and skin, helps to control appetite and weight, improves sleep and energy levels…I could go on and on.
But, sometimes drinking plain water gets boring, really boring. So instead of reaching for one of the thousands of sugary alternatives, why not give your next glass of water a flavorful makeover?
Check out 8 flavorful (unboring) ways to stay hydrated this summer…without globs of sugar!
1. Fruit Water – Fill a glass with fresh, ice cold water and 1/2 cup of your favorite fruit. Fresh fruit adds a delicious flavor and natural sweetness! Some tasty combos to try…white nectarine, blueberries and pineapple or strawberries, sliced orange and mango. Carb amounts will vary depending on the fruits that you choose.
2. Coconut Water - Good news! You don’t have to be stuck on a deserted island to enjoy fresh coconut water. It’s easy to find at the grocery store. Coconut water is packed with potassium and electrolytes and is an all natural way to keep your body hydrated all year round! 8oz coconut water = 45 calories, 11g carbs.
3. Sun Tea – Fill a large clean glass jar (that holds about 48oz) with fresh, clean, cold water. Place 8 peppermint tea bags (or other herbal tea bags) into the water leaving the tags hanging outside the jar. Put the lid on the jar and place the jar in a warm sunny spot for 1-2 hours, but not more than 4 hours. Remove the teabags and chill right away for safety. (Optional: add a teaspoon of honey to 8oz of tea which provides 4 grams of carbs).
4. Spa Water – Add a few slices of cucumber and fresh basil or mint leaves to an icy cold glass of spring water. 0 grams carbs.
5. Fresh Watermelon – Did you know that watermelon is 92% water by weight? Eating a serving of fresh sliced watermelon is a great way to stay hydrated on a hot day! 1 cup diced watermelon = 12 grams carbs.
6. Crystal Light Pure – Crystal Light Pure is different from traditional Crystal Light because it does not have artificial colors or sweeteners. It is sweetened naturally from a small amount of evaporated cane juice (a.k.a. sugar) and from the stevia plant. One packet = 2 serving and provides 30 calories and 6 grams of carbs.
7. Honest Kids – Honest Kids is a low-sugar, fruit flavored, organic, pouch drink for kids. Honest Kids does not use any high fructose corn syrup. 1 serving 6.75 oz pouch = 40 calories, 10 grams carbs.
8. Lemon Lime Seltzer – Try making an all natural, sugar-free soda….fill a glass with 12 oz seltzer water and slices of fresh lemons and limes. 12 oz = 0 calories and 0 grams carbs.