Blackberries are one of my favorite summer fruits! They are rich in antioxidants, bioflavanoids and fiber to help keep your body disease free…plus they taste great in cereal, on a salad or in a simple summer dessert. So as summer winds down I thought a dessert with blackberries would be a good way to wrap up the season before heading into fall. Enjoy!
- Cupcake alone = 128 calories, 27g carbs, 0g fat, 4g protein
- Cupcake + 1/2 cup blackberries + 2 T whipped cream = 240 calories, 37g carbs, 8g fat, 5g protein
- Place the oven rack on the lowest position.
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Line one cupcake pan with paper liners.
- In a mixing bowl, sift together the cake flour, cocoa powder, salt and 3/4 cup sugar then set aside.
- Using an electric mixer with the whisk attachment beat the egg whites with the vanilla extract and cream of tartar on medium-high speed until soft-medium peaks form.
- Gradually add the remaining 3/4 cup sugar. Continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
- Fold in the dry ingredients using a rubber spatula. Be careful not to deflate the batter. Makes 12 cupcakes
Adapted from: http://annies-eats.com/2009/07/21/angel-food-cupcakes/
Whipped Cream Topping
- Using an electric mixer with the whisk attachment beat the egg whites with the vanilla and cream of tartar on medium-high speed until soft-medium peaks form. Gradually add confectioner’s sugar and vanilla extract.
- To serve: tear or slice cupcake into small bite size pieces and layer alternating between whipped topping and fresh blackberries. Enjoy!
Here are a few very useful tips:
Chill your bowl and beaters in the freezer for 10 minutes or so.
Don’t overwhip your cream. There’s about 30 seconds there when your cream will go from soft peaks to thick and butter like.
Adapted from: http://thegirlwhoateeverything.blogspot.com/2010/05/homemade-whipcream-how-to.html