Chili is a fantastic winter meal – inexpensive, easy to prepare, and loaded with fiber and vitamins and minerals. Chili is also a pretty kid friendly dinner option…especially when it’s paired with a cornbread muffin.
Suggested toppings: scallions, avocado, diced tomatoes, diced cilantro, diced red onion, shredded cheddar cheese, low-fat sour cream
*Nutrition Facts are calculated without the addition of toppings.
- In a large saucepan with a lid, cook the onions in the olive oil (about 5 minutes until slightly translucent and brown around the edges), and then add the salt and pepper.
- Add the ground chicken and then cook on medium-high heat until fully cooked (meat will be white-ish and opaque in color).
- Add the beans and corn.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and tomato paste along with the spices.
- Allow the soup to come to a complete boil and then turn the temperature to low-medium heat and continue to cook for 20 minutes.
- Serve the soup topped with shredded cheddar cheese, avocado, scallions, diced cilantro, diced tomatoes, diced red onion, and sour cream.