This is a very simple, healthy and hearty tomato sauce recipe. It works well with most pasta dishes or the way I like to eat it – sauce bread (dunking a chunk of fresh Italian bread in a big bowl of sauce) Yum!
I grew up eating a lot of sauce bread in our home. My husband is not a fan of sauce bread (for the record, he is also not Italian). He gets overwhelmed with large quantities of sauce – something most Italians simple cannot comprehend. Ah – sauce bread!
- In a large sauce pan, heat onions, garlic and olive oil on medium heat until golden brown.
- As the onions are cooking, prepare the veggies. Wash, rinse, and chop.
- Once the onions have caramelized, add peppers, carrots, zucchini, yellow squash, broccoli florets, mushrooms and 1/2 cup of water. Put cover back on pot and allow veggies to “steam” cook until bright in color and tender.
- Add crushed tomatoes, salt, and pepper. Stir. Continue to cook on low/medium heat for 30-45 minutes stirring every 5-10 minutes.
- Now add the basil, parsley, and Parmesan cheese. Stir, reduce heat to simmer and allow sauce to sit for a few minutes before serving. Turn heat off and enjoy with pasta or zucchini parmesan