We have this vegetarian place near Providence called Garden Grille. It has become one of my favorite vegetarian restaurants in RI. On their menu is a delicious butternut squash quesadilla! I don’t have their recipe, so I was inspired to invent this one.
Kevin normally makes all the quesadillas at our house, so when I made this for the first time, I decided to include step-by-step photos so its easy to make it again and again. Enjoy!
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Rinse and peel sweet potatoes. Slice 1/4 inch thick and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Toss sweet potatoes with olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Place on baking sheets lined with foil and bake for 25 minutes.
- Place 1 tortilla on clean dinner plate and sprinkle with 1/4 cup of cheese.
- Layer cooked sweet potatoes on top of cheese.
- Layer cooked mashed black beans on top of sweet potatoes.
- Layer avocado on top of black beans.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup of cheese on top of avocado.
- Heat 1 T of butter or butter substitute in a pan on medium/low heat.
- Once butter has melted, place assembled tortilla into the pan and place the other tortilla on top.
- Place foil over the top of the pan and then place lid/cover over the top of the quesadilla (as a weight). Cook on one side for 2-3 minutes (until golden brown on bottom). Flip and repeat on other side.
- Slice into 8 equal pieces and repeat to make 1 more quesadilla with ingredients.
- Serve quesadilla with salsa or sour cream.