About this time each year I start getting antsy for warm weather and warm weather foods like salads and vibrant fresh flavors like lemon, mint and cilantro. It’s like my taste buds go into hibernation for 4 months and after a long winter slumber they need to be re-awakened!
We are doing a 6 week health class at our church called The Daniel Plan. This recipe was adapted from and inspired by this Quinoa Salad recipe from one of the Daniel Plan chefs. It is delicious and so simple to make. It will definitely wake up your taste buds and (hopefully) inspire you to give your body more of what it craves – fresh, simple, healthy and real – food!
- Place dry quinoa and water in a small sauce pan and heat (uncovered) on medium/high heat until it comes to a boil. Once boiling, cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 15-20 minutes until water has absorbed and small holes form on top.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cucumber, tomato, onion, parsley and mint.
- In a separate small mixing bowl, combine ingredients for dressing – olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Once quinoa has finished cooking, transfer to a mixing bowl and place in refrigerator for 60 minutes or until fully cooled.
- Once cooled, combine quinoa, vegetable mixture and dressing. Enjoy!