This is one of my favorite easy/healthy dinners because it takes almost no time to make and I almost always have all the ingredients on hand. I used white rice in this photo, but this recipe also works great with brown rice, quinoa, bulgur or another whole grain. You could also skip the grain altogether and serve the beans/sausage/veggies with a large garden salad or freshly grilled zucchini and summer squash. Yum!
- In a medium size sauce pan heat olive oil over medium/high heat until sizzling. Add sliced chicken sausage and cook until lightly browned on each side, stirring frequently. *Chicken sausage will already be fully cooked, not raw.
- Remove chicken sausage from pan and set aside. Add onions and garlic and cook until translucent and fragrant.
- Add peppers and carrots. Saute with onions and garlic, stirring occasionally until texture of vegetables softens slightly (about 2-3 minutes).
- Add black beans and spices. Stir to combine. Cover, reduce heat and allow bean mixture to simmer for 10 minutes or so.
- Serve over cooked white or brown rice and top with freshly chopped or torn cilantro. Enjoy!