I can’t go all day without eating a snack. It just doesn’t work for me. On the days that I skip snacks, I end up wanting to kick something or let the air out of someone’s tires. Don’t worry, that has never happened….mainly for two reasons. 1. Jesus. 2. I try to keep small snacks within my reach at all times.
Snacks are important and should be eaten throughout the day. One of the main reasons to small meals/snacks is to prevent over-eating later in the day. Snack foods do not always need to come from packages. A healthy snack should include a fruit or vegetable, some protein, and/or a whole grain. I have made a list of my favorite 7 simple snacks. Take a look…
- Blueberry Greek yogurt with fresh berries, 1/4 cup of Grape Nuts cereal, and a drizzle of honey.
- Hummus with fresh veggies and whole grain crackers.
- Ryvita or another whole grain cracker with a thin layer of reduced or low-fat cream cheese and sliced green olives.
- A small bowl of vegetable and bean soup with whole grain crackers.
- A Gnu bar to consider. A few weeks ago I wrote a post on snack bars. In that post I mentioned that most snack bars are complete trash. While that is largely true, I was recently introduced to Gnu bars. Gnu bars are high fiber snack bars made with all natural ingredients – no junk. I can actually pronounce all of the ingredients…and I even know where most of them come from. They are quite tasty as well and most are under 150 calories per bar. Check them out!
- A classic: cheesestick, apple, pretzels, and cashews.
- Brown rice cakes with freshly ground honey roasted peanut butter and sliced kumquats.