This year, instead of giving your kids a ton of candy for Valentine’s Day, surprise them with something healthier and unexpected. Check out the list below for 14 heart healthy Valentine’s Day treats that you can make for or with your kids.
1. Very berry smoothie – 6 oz low-fat or fat free strawberry yogurt (Greek or non-Greek), 4 oz cherry juice, 1/2 cup frozen mixed berries (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries and cherries) blend and serve!
2. Heart shaped sandwich on whole wheat bread (use large heart shaped cookie cutter)
3. Angel food cupcakes with fresh whipped cream and topped with berries
4. Heart shaped veggie pizza on whole wheat crust with low-fat mozzarella cheese
5. Red veggies (sliced red peppers, sliced radishes, cherry tomatoes) served with low-fat ranch dip
6. Heart shaped slices of cheese (use heart shaped cookie cutter) and whole grain crackers
7. Fruit kabobs (strawberries and mango chunks) with mini marshmallows
8. Yogurt parfait with fresh berries, sliced almonds, served in a small waffle cone
9. Toast (heart shaped) with low-fat strawberry cream cheese and fresh sliced strawberries
10. Fresh fruit spritzer: seltzer water, 2 oz juice, slices of fresh lemons, limes, oranges
11. Black bean brownies by Chocolate & Carrots
12. Hot cocoa with low-fat milk and mini marshmallows
13. Tortellini with low-fat mozzarella cheese and broccoli
14. Heart shaped 5 grain pancakes with flax from Good Life Eats