Bored with bread? Try using a crunchy and delicious collard green leaf in place of bread for your next sandwich. Collard greens are sturdy, mild in flavor and go with almost any fillings. Lettuce or cabbage leafs work great, but collard greens are serious nutrition superstars - packed with vitamins (K, A, C, B-vitamins), minerals, antioxidants and have a super low Glycemic Index value.
Collards have SO many more health benefits like…
- Anti-inflammatory benefits
- Anti-oxidant benefits
- Cardiovascular health benefits
- Digestive health benefits
Definitely worth adding to your diet!
For this recipe, I made a cranberry orange flavored tuna salad with diced apples. The recipe for the tuna salad was inspired by a tuna salad that I like to get from Whole Foods and worked great inside the collards.
Not a fan of tuna salad? Not a problem. The options for fillings are pretty much limitless.
Here are a few other fillings to try…
- Hummus, grilled zucchini, roasted red peppers and feta cheese
- Chicken salad with grapes, walnuts or pecans
- Avocado, tomatoes, quinoa, black beans and salsa
- Sliced cucumber, matchstick carrots, sprouts, peppers, hummus
- Teriyaki glazed grilled chicken, steak or seafood with brown rice and sautéed veggies
- Egg salad
- Buffalo chicken salad
- Cucumber, carrots, sprouts, tofu and creamy peanut dipping sauce
- In a mixing bowl, combine tuna, red onion, cranberries, apple and orange rind. Stir to combine ingredients. Add mayonnaise and stir again. Next, add sea salt and black pepper (to taste). Store in the refrigerator until ready to assemble wraps.
- To assemble the wraps: rinse collard green leafs and trim off bulky stems. You may also want to trim off some of the collard leaf “backbone” just to make it more flexible. To make collard greens shiny, rub with a very tiny amount of grapeseed or canola oil. This will also help with flexibility. Add tuna salad into the center of the wrap and then roll like a burrito. Click here for step by step instructions on wrapping. Serve with a side of fresh fruit, salad or other raw veggies. Cut into halves and enjoy!