I used to think of oatmeal as the most boring breakfast known to man – then I figured it out. Oats aren’t boring, they’re just blank canvases in need of color. The oatmeal that I used to eat was gray, bland, lumpy and generally unsatisfying, but when I started to experiment with my canvas, I got excited because I could see that the possibilities were endless! This recipe is a new favorite combination. The pumpkin puree adds a nice color and a creamy texture and the nutmeg adds a little spice. Plus, it makes your kitchen smell good as it cooks.
For a lower glycemic alternative, use steel cut oats instead of old fashioned.
Here is a list of some optional toppings:
- Nuts & seeds: pecans, walnuts, cashews, almonds, macadamia nuts, hazelnuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, flax seeds, etc.
- Nut & seed butters: peanut, cashew, almond, soy, sunflower seed, etc.
- Dried fruits: cranberries, raisins, golden raisins, freeze dried strawberries, apricots, freeze dried pineapple, mango, blueberries, dates, prunes,
- Fresh fruits: apples, pears, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, kiwi, mango, etc.
- Sweeteners: brown sugar, honey, molasses, agave, Stevia, etc.
- Milk(s): Cow’s milk, rice, almond, soy, coconut, hemp, Keifer, etc.
- Other: wheat germ, cocoa powder, pumpkin puree, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, ginger, cardamom, etc.
*Note: Nutrition Facts are calculated without the addition of optional toppings.
Fatal error: Call to undefined function get_field() in /nfs/c04/h04/mnt/165286/domains/keepyourdietreal.com/html/wp-content/themes/kydr-v2/loop-single.php on line 101