Any time is the perfect time for breakfast food if you ask me. I love restaurants that serve breakfast all day…brunch is the best! Eggs are a pretty big breakfast staple for me because they taste amazing and they’re an excellent source of protein and other vitamins. I like this breakfast combo because the potatoes can be prepared ahead of time so all you’ll need to do in the morning is scramble the eggs, heat the potato and add the toppings! I also like how portable these little potatoes are. And…no need for bread, bagels or other grains because the potato has plenty of carbs and serves as the starch.
mmm…potatoes stuffed with eggs and cheese and veggies!
These baked potatoes work great with just about any combination of toppings. You might also want to try…
- Diced cherry or grape tomatoes
- Sautéed red, green, orange or yellow bell peppers
- Grilled zucchini or summer squash (chopped)
- Caramelized onions and baby spinach, kale or collard greens
- Freshly chopped herbs: basil, cilantro, dill, parsley, oregano, etc.
- Sautéed chicken or turkey sausage, Canadian bacon
- Other cheeses: feta, shredded mozzarella, pepper jack, etc.
- Scrambled egg whites or a tofu scramble (for a vegan option)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Then wash & scrub potatoes with clean water and a scrub/brush (or clean hands). Pat dry. Remove any blemishes with a small knife.
- Rub the potatoes with olive oil and sprinkle with salt (and/or pepper, if desired). Poke the potatoes with a fork several times all around to allow steam to escape.
- Place potatoes on a small foil-lined baking sheet and bake for about 60 minutes (turning 2-3 times). Remove potatoes from the oven and allow them to cool for 15 minutes or so. Slice potatoes into halves and use a spoon to scoop out a small hollow section in the middle of each half. The potatoes can be prepared ahead of time and then wrapped in foil and saved in the refrigerator for a day or two until ready to be used.
- In a mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk and salt and pepper, if desired. Whisk ingredients together and pour into a non-stick skillet over medium heat. You may want to first spray the skillet with spray oil or use a little butter to make sure that the eggs do not stick. Stir frequently using a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Once eggs have fully cooked assemble the potatoes. Scoop scrambled eggs into the center of each potato half. Top with salsa, shredded cheese, diced avocado and other raw or cooked veggie toppings. Enjoy!