If you have even a drop of Italian blood in your family tree then you’re probably familiar
with zucchini and eggs. My Italian Nana (and most Nana’s I know) derive great pleasure in stuffing their grandkids full of home cooked food. My Nana liked to stuff us with these little zucchini and egg fritters. She would make them every summer from the zucchini that grew in her garden and I couldn’t get enough of them!
This recipe was inspired by both my Nana’s zucchini fritters and my Mom’s homemade zucchini bread. It’s sort of a combination of the two. My Nana used to use whole eggs, but I decided on just egg whites to lighten it up a bit, and surprisingly, it does not lose flavor (in my opinion).
Zucchini is an extremely mild vegetable and once shredded, it adds a nice texture in the pancakes. This is a recipe that kids seems to love too! I decided to go gluten free on this one, but you can easily substitute another type of flour for the rice flour. Enjoy!
Suggested toppings: plain non-fat Greek yogurt, diced red bell peppers, scallions, chives, reduced fat sour cream, tzatziki, diced red onion, salsa, chopped parsely, and the list goes on…
- Rinse and trim the ends off the zucchini and shred using a grater. 4 medium zucchini is about 5 cups shredded.
- Place shredded zucchini in a large mixing bowl and toss with sea salt. Place the zucchini in a colander and then place the colander in the mixing bowl so that the water can have somewhere to drain. Use a spatula to press the water out of the zucchini. Discard the liquid and repeat the process.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the liquid egg whites, crushed garlic, rice flour, Parmesan cheese, parsley and black pepper. Stir in the zucchini. The mixture will be lumpy.
- Heat olive oil in a non-stick skillet on medium/low heat. For each pancake, pour 1/4 cup of batter into the pan and cook 2-3 minutes per side until golden brown. This recipe will make about 16 pancakes (2 per serving).
- Serve with a dollop of plain non-fat Greek yogurt and diced red bell pepper or any garnish you’d like to use! *Nutrition facts are calculated without the addition of garnishes.